The Wingspan team is deeply disturbed and devastated by the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the countless other Black men and women who have had their lives taken from them at the hands of police and white supremacists. The racism endured over the past few weeks is just the latest in this country’s 400-year history of hate and injustice.
As a new company, we want to say unequivocally that Wingspan supports and stands with the Black Lives Matter movement, condemns police brutality, and believes that police across America must stop murdering Black people with impunity.
We’ve spent the past days listening, having tough internal conversations, and planning a way forward.
We also recognize that in order for the system as a whole to work for Black people, there needs to be long-term systemic change. We want to put our money where our mouth is and help in ways that start to shift the socioeconomic status quo.
- Wingspan will match donations made to any Black Lives Matter organization up to a total of $5,000. Send us your receipts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wingspan will cover one hour of legal consultation for 15 Black business owners or independent professionals looking to get started or take their business to the next level. Our lawyers can help with things ranging from creating an LLC to drafting a standard contract to understanding local labor laws. Email us at email@example.com and tell us a little bit about you and your business!
This is just the beginning, and we pledge to make an ongoing commitment to this work as we grow. As long as there is racism in the world, we have a responsibility to call it out and step up.
We’ve also compiled a list of resources and ways we can all take action. Please take a look, find what speaks to you most, and share as you see fit. We will continue to update this list.
Elevate and Spend Your Money at Black-Owned Businesses
- The James Beard Foundation organized a list of Black-owned businesses and restaurants by state and region.
- Clever put together a list of Black-owned design businesses to buy from.
- Kiel Byrne and Terrell Singleton created an interactive map to find and support Black-owned businesses across the globe. Don’t see your favorite local Black-owned businesses? Add them!
- Robin and Andréa McBride, sisters and co-owners of winery McBride Sisters, curated a list of fellow Black vintners to support.
Donate to Mutual Aid and Bail Funds
- Find mutual aid networks and other community self-support projects near you with Mutual Aid Hub’s interactive map.
- Use this community-sourced list to find local bail and mutual aid funds, as well as harmed Black-owned businesses that need support to rebuild.
- Progressives Everywhere’s Act Blue bail fund will split your donation between 12 organizations.
Take Care of Your Mental Health
- Ethel’s Club has identified 7 Mental Health Resources for Black People.
- Real is offering free therapy services to the public via their group support series led by Black therapists. Check their website for group times and topics.
- The Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation is offering free virtual therapy to support Black communities and their mental health during these times. Text NOSTIGMA to 707070 and learn more on their site.
As always, Wingspan is here for any questions and feedback you might have for us. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.
The Wingspan Team